Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Super-mini PS tutorial (using Shadows & Highlights)

This is so simple and I don't know how I've been editing photos all this time w/o using this feature. Kind of an ah-ha moment (someone call Oprah).

I have 2 black dogs, and they are the hardest things ever to photograph. They end up looking like one large black blob as there is little opportunity for light to reflect. Adjusting the lightness does nothing for the photo. See examples...

Original photo :
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Photo with lightness adjusted:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Definately not acceptable. My entire photo is washed out and my puppy is still in blob-like form.

So this is what I've been doing: Images > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight. At that point I just basically play around with the sliders. Unlike the basic lightness command, which lightens the entire image, the shadow command lightens based on the pixels surrounding the dark shadow.
Pretty cool, eh?


Here's the setting I used for my photo:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


And the result:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Hope you will be able to use this :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this sound terrific! will definitely have to try it! I have a black doggie too, so that's gonna be useful! LOL

Annie said...

thks! I have a black cat that is a terror to photograph!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your delightful blog today... thank you so much for all of this entertainment and ESPECIALLY for this! I've been saying since we got our Max that I'll NEVER get another black dog... well, I can lighten up. (No pun intended.)

Merry Christmas!
Tracy

Brooke - in Oregon said...

Oh my gosh that is amazing!! Plus what a cute little dog! :)