Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I decided to go a little non-traditional this year with the Christmas card. A couple of months ago our amazing Holly spoke out Revelation 1:12-16 during Sunday worship. I had read the passage before, but it never really got into my head till she read it that day. It is an incredible description of Jesus. I turn to it now and read it often. I picture those blazing eyes and I want to crumble.



And now it's nearing Christmas, and every picture I will see of Jesus for the next month will be of him wrapped up in blankets and snug inside a feeding trough. These are fine images, don't misunderstand me, but I think America too often dwells on JUST that image of him... of him being quiet and serene and helpless... and cute (though I'm sure he was. I have only seen a handful of UN-cute babies, so the odds are in his favor.) With all our concentration these days of Jesus being active and moving, it reminds me that He didn't just come to earth as a chubby little baby to take cool gifts from strangers.

HE CAME TO EARTH

He came in the form of an infant, though he is wild and untame and powerful and fierce and pure and amazing and beyond anything that I can imagine is beautiful. The night of our dear savior's birth... and of the Mighty lion of Judah's.


"I turned around to see the voice that wasspeaking to me.. . . he was dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a goldensash around his chest. His head and hair werewhite like wool, as white as snow, and his eyeswere like a blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice waslike the sound of rushing waters. In his righthand he held seven stars and out of his mouth came a sharp, double-edged sword. Hisface was like the sun shining in all its brilliance."


Well, it could get interesting when my family receives these cards.

No comments: