Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday

(lookit me being all house-wifey and stuff)


Image and video hosting by TinyPic



I have finally learned to cut my grocery shopping time in half. This isn't brainiac type stuff here... just one of those 'duh' things that struck me one day.

About 4 or so months ago I started jotting down the aisle number next to each item as I crossed it off my shopping list. Mayo, #13. Frozen breakfasts, #2. And so on and so forth. After I had most of them recorded I typed up a simple Word doc. with the aisle numbers and the items in each one. Then (now this is where it get's REALLY geeky and fun) I created an Excel worksheet to map out my entire trip in aisle number order. Start with the fruits, then veggies, deli, bread, aisle #1, 2, 3 and so on. I jot my list down on a piece of paper, then plug them into my Excel sheet, print and off I go. The first time I shopped using this method it took me only 20 minutes to pick up 50 items. Sweet! It has taken some time to tweak and perfect, but it's really worth it. Also, I can send John to the store for me and he knows exactly where to find everything. None of this, "I couldn't find the artichokes" business.

1 comment:

Gina said...

You win grocery shopper of the year in my book! That is such a wonderful idea. I have two main stores I shop, so I'll need to take notes next time.